Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for St Veep

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Veep

The parish of St Veep, (Cornish: Sen Vep), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by St Winnow and Boconnoc, on the east by Lanreath, on the south by Lansallos and Lanteglos, on the west by the River Fowey, which separates it from St Sampson (Golant). It is named after St Vepus; it is not known whether the Saint was male or female.

The only villages are Lerryn and Penpoll.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)


  • The Gravestone Photographic Resource project have recorded graves for St Veep's churchyard of St Cyrus and St Julietta.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 900 entries.
  • The transcription of the parish of St Veep Roll of Honour

    "Names of those who served in His Majesty's Forces in the Great War 1914-1919 from the Parish of St. Veep and the village of Lerryn.
    In Memoriam of those who gave their lives"
    • Barrett, Brice
    • Bonney, Brice
    • Cocking, Thomas
    • Hoskin, Kenneth
    • Payne, Frederick James
    • Searle, Samuel
    • Yeo, Samuel
    • Bartlett, Percy Howard
    • Bartlett, Martin
    • Bartlett, Claud
    • Barrett, Mark
    • Barrett, Owen
    • Bellringer, William John
    • Corking, Hilary Edgar
    • Cole, William Henry
    • Collings, James
    • Davey, Samuel
    • Doney, Joseph Arpal
    • Giles, Ernest
    • Giles, John Howant
    • Glanville, Harry Norman
    • Hawken, John
    • Honey, James Henry
    • Honey, Ernest
    • Honey, Frank
    • Honey, Elford
    • Hoskin, H (?) James
    • Hoskin, Everett Henry
    • Hoskin, Frederick Irving
    • Hoskin, Woodman
    • Hoskin, Harry
    • Hoskin, William
    • Hoskin, Ernest
    • Isbell, Herbert
    • Johns, Albert Edward
    • Joliff, Arthur
    • Joliff, Richard Aldwin
    • Joliff, Ernest Joseph
    • Langmaid, John
    • Langmaid, Brice
    • Leen, Fred
    • Lightfoot, Ernest
    • Littleton, Thomas Henry
    • Martin, Percy
    • ?
    • ?
    • Mutton, Arthur
    • Mutton, Alfred
    • Mutton, Henry John
    • Mutton, Thomas Fred
    • Mutton, Frank
    • Payne, Alfred Oswald
    • Payne, Francis Alfred
    • Pearce, Herbert Thomas
    • Philp, William
    • Philp, Percy
    • R (?), Gerrart Christopher
    • Sandercock, Cyril
    • Serpell, Ernest Richard
    • Stephens, Sidney
    • Stephens, James Ernest
    • Stephens, John Andrew
    • Turpie, William
    • Wade, William John
    • Whetter, James
    • Yeo, Evelyn
    • Yeo, Stanley
    • Yeo, Albert


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Veep area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1455 and was originally dedicated to St Vepus (alias St Vepa) but, following its reconstruction, on 1st July 1336 it was re-dedicated by Bishop Grandisson to St Cyrus and St Julietta. The stucture comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south arcade has four pointed arches and one depressed four-centred arch, all supported on monolith pillars; the north arcade has four four-centred arches similarly supported. The tower has two stages, is 55 feet high, buttressed on the square at the angles, and finished with battlements only. The belfry contains six bells.
  • Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel at Lerrin.

Church Records

The parish records date from 1538.

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for St Veep are: C042961. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage for this parish is 1676 - 1772.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1538 - 1992, Burials 1558 - 1992, Marriages 1558 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1611 - 1673, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1611 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1857 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1695 to 1845 for this parish.
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and parish transcripts 1877 to 1902, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.

Civil Registration

The parish of St Veep has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of St Veep are available on-line.
You can see pictures of St Veep which are provided by:


OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Veep ecclesiastical parish:


You can see the administrative areas in which St Veep has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX130550 (Lat/Lon: 50.365050, -4.630774), St Veep which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

St Veep parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.


  • Population in 1801 - 169 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 186 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 248 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 314 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 311 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 335 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 311 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 295 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 328 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 261 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 288 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 349 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 303 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 270 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 239 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 234 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 278 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 270 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 255 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 299 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 305 persons


The parish comprises 3111 acres of land, 3 acres of water, 14 acres of tidal water and 78 acres of foreshore.