The Cornwall Family History
Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for:
The parish of St Winnow, (Cornish: Sen Gwynnow), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It
is bounded on the north by Cardinham, on the east by Bradock and Boconnoc, on
the south by St Veep, and on the west by the River Fowey and the parish of
Lostwithiel. The River Fowey separates St Winnow from (Golant) St Sampson, Lanlivery
and Lanhydrock. There is some doubt as to whether the name is connected with St
Winnoe or St Winwaloe. The parish is mentioned in Domesday Survey of 1086 as
San Winnuc and the Church still has some remains of the Norman building.
In 1644-5, some 90 persons of this parish died of the plague; this occurred
during the English Civil War but only four of the dead were
This thinly-populated scattered parish is east of Lostwithiel
and the River Fowey. The picturesque village and church are close to the
river's edge. Some scenes from the BBC Poldark TV series were filmed
here. Other villages in the parish are Bridgend, Polscoe, and Respryn.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Parish Church - 838 entries.
- St Nectan Chapel - 633 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall
Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Winnow (HO107/153), Enumeration
Districts 1 to 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Winnow (HO107/1904), Enumeration
Districts 1a, 1b and 1c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Winnow (RG9/1534), Enumeration
Districts 11b, 12c, and 13b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Winnow (RG10/2247), Enumeration
District 11 to 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Winnow (RG11/2289), Enumeration Districts 11 to 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Winnow (RG12/1814), Enumeration
Districts 11 to 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Anglican. There are two Anglican churches in St Winnow:
- Parish Church. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX1157 and was dedicated to St
Winnocus. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The
arcade consists of six four-centred arches supported on monolith granite
pillars with capitals of porcelain stone. There are a south porch and a
priest's door. The tower has three stages, is buttressed on the square, and
finished with battlements and pinnacles. The belfry contained five
Like so many other churches in Cornwall, this church was probably
founded by a Celtic religious community round about the 7th century (St Winnow
or Winnoc was an evangelist, perhaps Welsh, who also founded churches in Wales,
Brittany and northern France, and died in 717); about 500 years later a larger,
stone building probably replaced the old cob-and-thatch one; further
enlargements and the tower were added in the l5th century; and a thorough
restoration was carried out in Victorian times.
Luckily, the restoration was more sensitive than that suffered by many other
churches, and one of the most attractive features inside is the old woodwork.
The wagon roofs, except in the chancel, are old, and so are the pulpit and
parts of the beautiful screen which dominates the interior. The early
bench-ends (l5th-l7th centuries) are particularly fine.
About two miles
north-east of the church stands a chapel of ease dedicated to St Nectan (called
locally St Nighton's chapel). It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and
south aisles. The orginal structure consisted of what is now the south aisle
only. The entrances are a south porch and a vestry door. At the south-west
corner of the chapel stands one substantial buttressed stage of the tower on
which there is a wooden bell-cote. The upper stages were destroyed in the Civil
War when the bells were melted down for use as armaments. The chapel is
surrounded by a burial ground, and marriages and baptisms are celebrated it in.
- St Nectan. St Nightons (Nectan's) chapel of ease is 2 1/2 miles north-east from the Parish church. It is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, and at the south-west corner is one stage of an old and substantial butteresed tower with a bell cot, containing one bell. The upper stages were destroyed during the Civil war in 1644, and the six bells are said to have been melted down to furnish war material. One pinnacle was removed years ago to Boconnoc, and another serves as a gate post on the steps to the entrance to the churchyard. There are 250 sittings.
Details about the plans of this church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. At Bofarnel, near Resprin, was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel. There was also a Primitive Methodist chapel at Bridgend.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Winnow are: P002211, St Winnow with St Nighton C053491. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1612 - 1837; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1622 - 1970, Burials 1622 - 1920,
Marriages 1622 - 1947, Boyd's Marriage Index 1612 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1612 - 1639.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1892 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1708 to 1850 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1874 to 1900) of the St Austell Primitive Methodist Circuit. Areas include: St Austell, St Blazey, St Winnow, Par, Polgooth, Tywardreath, Roche and Holmbush.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD baptisms (1870 to 1900) of the Bodmin Wesleyan Circuit, including Fletchers Bridge Chapel (1896 - 1900). Areas include: Bodmin, Lanhydrock, Lanlivery, Lanivet, Roche, Luxulyan, Cardinham, St Mabyn, Withiel, Egloshayle, Lostwithiel, Helland, St Winnow and St Breock.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Liskeard Wesleyan Circuit. These comprise baptisms 1834 to 1900. The areas cover Liskeard, Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Linkinhorne, Looe, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, Quethiock, St Germans, St Ive, St Martins, St Neot, St Pinnock, St Veep, St Winnow, South Hill and Talland.
- Burials 1684 to 1782, and 1868 to 1912, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD and Book formats.
The parish of St Winnow was originally in Bodmin Registration District; it
is now in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle,
Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the BOdmin district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar of Liskeard can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of St Winnow are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Winnow ecclesiastical parish:
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Winnow (1761 - 1820) can be found in the Cornwall
- St Winnow parish was part of the Bodmin
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1758 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall Record
- Population in 1801 - 671 persons
- Population in 1811 - 782 persons
- Population in 1821 - 906 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1048 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1056 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1076 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1115 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1168 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1131 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1064 persons
- Population in 1901 - 989 persons
- Population in 1911 - 958 persons
- Population in 1921 - 893 persons
- Population in 1931 - 880 persons
- Population in 1951 - 365 persons
- Population in 1961 - 391 persons
- Population in 1971 - 321 persons
- Population in 1981 - 490 persons
- Population in 1991 - 480 persons
- Population in 2001 - 304 persons
- Population in 2011 - 328 persons
The parish comprises 5038 acres of land.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 25th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.