GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  UpDevon Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Stoke Climsland

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Stoke Climsland (sometimes known as Stokeclimsland), (Cornish: Eglosstock), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by the river Inny, which separates it from Lezant, and by the River Tamar which separates it from Milton Abbot, South Sydenham and Lamerton in Devon, (these days just Sydenham Damerell adjoins, Lamerton doesn't quite come down to the river), and Calstock, on the south by Calstock and Callington, and on the west by Southill and Linkinhorne.
Stoke Climsland is a village and large parish in the centre of Cornwall on the border with Devon. Stoke means 'outlying farm'; Climsland is the name of the manor, which in the Domesday Survey of 1086 was referred to as Climstone. This suffix was added to the name distinguish it from other Stoke place names in Devon.

The parish has for many centuries been predominantly Duchy land and the Duchy Home Farm is situated near Stoke village. This has now become the Duchy College. To the south of the parish is Kit Hill, a significant landscape feature and for many years the source of stone and minerals.

As well as Stoke village and Luckett, the parish contains many hamlets of Beals Mill, part of Bray Shop, Downgate, Higherland, Monks Cross and Venterdon. At one time there were seven mines employing over a thousand men, but these went into decline at the end of the 19th century, although the Luckett mines were reopened for a period of just over five years in 1947.

Archives & Libraries

Based at the Old School Community Centre in the parish, the Archive contains thousands of documents, photos, maps and plans from the tenth century to present day.

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Stoke Climsland is in the Launceston Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Stoke Climsland ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

History

Callington Area Heritage Centre have placed on-line a webpage for the history of Stoke Climsland parish.

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Manors

The Manorial Documents Register (MDR) maintained by the Historic Manuscripts Commission notes that, so far as can be established, the parish of Stoke Climsland contained the manors of Climsland Prior and Stoke Climsland (also known as Climsland), and the parish of Lawhitton contained the manors of Lawhitton and Sheers Barton.

The MDR contains the following information for these manors:

Further enquiries about these records should be addressed to the staff at the relevant repository.

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Stoke Climsland parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 1153 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1237 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1524 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1608 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 2073 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 2596 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2554 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2422 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 2100 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1865 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1638 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1651 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1578 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1464 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1282 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1147 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1119 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1150 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1475 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1670 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1639 persons

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Stoke Climsland are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Societies

There is a Local History Group. For more information, please contact Caroline Vulliamy at the Old School, Stoke Climsland on 01579 370493.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprised 8720 acres of land.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.