Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Stratton

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


The parish of Stratton, (Cornish: Strasnedh), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and the Hundred of Stratton. It is bounded on the north by Poughill, on the east by Launcells, on the south by Marhamchurch, and on the west by the sea. The village of Stratton lies a mile to the east of Bude, (which is also called Bude Haven or Budeham). and is located on the north coast of Cornwall.
When the coastal area of Bude was separated from the original parish of Bude-Stratton in 1836, the remainder (to the east of Bude) became the parish of Stratton. The origin of name is said to have derived from the Cornish, meaning 'valley of the River Neet'; the English ton has been added later. However, a more plausible explanation, for the name (which is of great antiquity having been given in Saxon times to the Hundred in which it lies) is that it is derived from the Roman road or Street near which it stands. Towns so situated are traditionally called street-towns or strettons.

About half a mile west of the town are the remains of Binhamy Castle.

The parish was originally called Bude-Stratton. Although the two parishes of Bude Haven and Stratton were separated from each other in 1836, the two parish now once again now form the one civil parish of 'Bude-Stratton'.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)


The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 988 entries.


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Stratton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SS2306 and was dedicated to St Andrew. However, Bishop Lacy's register (1430) gives St Christina. The church is an ancient building of stone in the early English and perpendicular styles; it comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south arcade has six four-centred arches supported on granite pillars; the north has six irregular arches, chiefly supported on polyphant pillars, one only being of granite. The chief entrances are a south porch and a priest's door. The tower has three stages and is finished with battlements and stately pinnacles; it is buttressed on the square with angular buttresses. There are eight bells, all cast in 1778. The church was restored in 1878. The registers date from 1687 and contains an entry for Elizabeth Cornish who was buried on 10th March 1691, aged 113 years!
  • Non-Conformist. There were chapels for the Wesleyan Methodists, opened in 1837, and another for the Wesleyan Methodist Free Church, built in 1838, within the parish. The Bible Christians had a chapel at Brush which was built in 1869.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Stratton are: C073481, C042981. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1611 - 1860; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1687 - 1980, Burials 1687 - 1978, Marriages 1687 - 1989, Boyd's Marriage Index 1611 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1611 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) of baptisms 1679 to 1805, and parish transcripts 1687 to 1901, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1686 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Marriages.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1611 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
    • Phillimore's marriages 1687 to 1812, Bishop's transcripts (BTs) 1679 to 1805, and transcripts of marriages 1759 to 1911, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Burials.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or Book formats.
    • Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) of burials 1679 to 1805, and parish transcripts 1687 to 1901, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).

Civil Registration

The parish of Stratton is in the Stratton Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Kilkhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of Stratton are available on-line.
  • More pictures of Stratton are available courtesy of Steve Potter.
You can see pictures of Stratton which are provided by:


OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Stratton ecclesiastical parish:

  • Stratton (Stratona, Stratone), Grid Reference 231064.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stratton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS220060 (Lat/Lon: 50.826045, -4.528805), Stratton which are provided by:

Medical Records

In 1547, some 153 persons died in the town of the plague. In 1729, of 49 people buried, 42 of them died of the smallpox.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Stratton parish was part of the Stratton Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.


Bude Haven was separated from part of this parish in 1836. However, the two parishes came again together as 'Bude-Stratton' civil parish.

  • Population in 1801 - 960 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1094 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1580 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1613 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1941 persons, plus 19 persons on Stratton shipping
  • Population in 1851 - 1026 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1755 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1808 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1794 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1788 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 2308 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 2976 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 3958 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 3836 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 5224 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 5124 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 5643 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 6765 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 8125 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 9242 persons (Bude-Stratton)
  • Population in 2011 - 9979 persons (Bude-Stratton)


Bude/Stratton & District Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.


The parish comprised 2653 acres of land.