We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Tideford, (Cornish: Rystydi), is in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is situated on the A38 between Saltash and Liskeard. The origin of name is taken from 'Ford over the River Tiddy', indicating an early river crossing. The name is pronounced 'Tiddy-ford'.
The parish was created from part of St Germans parish in 1852.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not yet been recorded.
Census information for this parish (1861 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- In the 1841 Census, Tideford was enumerated as part of St Germans.
- The 1841 census for St Germans parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
- The 1851 Census of Tideford (HO107/1900), Enumeration Districts 2c and 2d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Germans is listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Tideford (RG9/1524), Enumeration Districts 7d and 8b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Tideford (RG10/2230), Enumeration Districts 7 and 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Tideford (RG11/2281), Enumeration Districts 7 and 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Tideford (RG12/1807), Enumeration Districts 7 and 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3459 and was dedicated to St Luke. The building was originally erected as a chapel-of-ease in St Germans parish. It is a small plain structure constructed of stone, in the early English style, and was consecrated on 31st July 1845. It consists of a chancel, nave and gable-cote containing two bells; it is fitted with oak seats and contains a pulpit. The registers date from 1845.
Tideford is now part of the united parishes of St Germans, Hessenford, Downderry and Tideford.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and Reformed Methodists had chapels here; the former was built in 1838.
- Quakers. There was a chapel belonging to the Society of Friends (Quakers) in Tideford with a cemetery attached.
- Banns. Banns 1875 to 1907 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1852 to 1905 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1866 to 1906 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Tideford is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since its creation; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, St Germans, Cornwall. Tel: 01752 842624.
Description and Travel
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Tideford are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Tideford which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Tideford has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX340590 (Lat/Lon: 50.407296, -4.337539), Tideford which are provided by:
Tideford parish became part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
The parish of Tideford was created in 1852 from St Germans parish; population figures before this date are included under St Germans.
- Population in 1861 - 913 persons
- Population in 1871 - 831 persons
- Population in 1881 - 676 persons
- Population in 1891 - 693 persons
- Population in 1901 - 686 persons
- Population in 1911 - 675 persons
- Population in 1921 - 621 persons
- Population in 1931 - 587 persons
- Population in 1951 - 505 persons
- Population in 1961 - 0 persons
- Population in 1971 - 0 persons
- Population in 1981 - 300 persons
- Population in 1991 - 340 persons
- Population in 2001 - 325 persons
- Population in 2011 - 0 persons
The parish comprises 2000 acres of land.