GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Tintagel

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Tintagel, (Cornish: Tre Venydh), sometimes Tintagel with Bossiney, is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and the Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by the sea and Trevalga, on the east by Trevalga and Minster, on the south by the detached part of Lanteglos and St Teath, and on the west by the sea. The parish is on the north coast of Cornwall between Port Isaac and Boscastle. Strictly speaking the name of the village is Trevena, the name Tintagel referring only to the headland. Tintagel is perhaps best known for its castle ruins and alleged connection with the legendary King Arthur, although unfortunately little evidence has been found to support this story.

The first castle was built in the middle of the 12th century on the site of a Celtic monastery, long after the time King Arthur was supposed to have lived. The owner at this time was Reginald, Earl of Cornwall, Henry I's illegitimate son. However, it does appear Tintagel was the home of Cornish Royalty in the past and a place of some importance. The united borough of Trevena and Bossiney, commonly called Tintagel, returned two M.P.'s from 1552 until 1832, when the Reform Act did away with such 'Rotten Boroughs'. In 1584, the famous circumnavigator, Sir Francis Drake, was one of these.

A local family, by the name of Wood, lived at Trevillet in this parish. One descendant of this family called Matthew Wood, became Lord Mayor of London in 1816.

The village has several shops and the Old Post Office built in the 14th century is a constant tourist attraction. The nearby village of Tregatta is reputed at one time to have had nine public houses and eight places of worship. At Trevellet there is an old water mill built in 1472; the old workings of which can be seen in what is now a cafe. Besides the Churchtown, other villages in the parish are Trenaile, Trewithin, and Trewarmet.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1082 entries.

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Although originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of Tintagel is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford but these are now abolished. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.

The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Tintagel ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Tintagel (1790, 1817 and 1828) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 649 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 730 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 877 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1006 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1185 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1085 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 900 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1001 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 894 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 719 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 868 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 989 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1207 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1234 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1451 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1300 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1372 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1520 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1719 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1822 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1727 persons

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 4885 acres of land.

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.