Torpoint, (Cornish: Penntorr), is a small town situated on the Rame peninsular on the banks of the
River Tamar some two and a half miles from Plymouth. It is the Deanery and
Hundred of East. It was created from part of Antony parish in 1819. The
Carew-Pole family lived here in Antony House.
The parish is situated on
the Rame peninsula on the south-east coast of Cornwall. Its history has been
closely linked with the ferry service to Devonport and Plymouth which began in
the 18th century. In 1700 Torpoint did not exist but, with the building of the
naval dockyard at Devonport, it grew rapidly, with workers there choosing to
live across the river near the ferry. In 1939 the naval shore establishment of
H.M.S. Raleigh was established here; its purpose was to provide training for
new entrants to the Royal Navy. It is still very much a Naval town with
families coming and going.
The Torpoint Archives have a great deal of useful information to help those
researching their Torpoint ancestry. Such information includes the Torpoint
Censuses 1841 - 1891, local parish (baptisms, marriages and burials) records, Trade Directories from 1830, and, for the late 18th century, there are extracts from the Antony Estate records showing many
residents in Torpoint in the 1770/1780s. In addition, there are many other local civic records. There is a large collection of Family Trees donated by those with Torpoint/Antony connections and the collection continues to grow with all names indexed. There is also a very fine photographic
collection with over 12,000 photographs on a wide range of subjects - school
photographs, Weddings, Events, Locations, Personalities and
Although primarily concerned with the history of Torpoint, there
is a gradual build-up of knowledge of the rest of the Rame peninsular - Antony,
St John, Maker with Rame, Sheviock and St Germans all have records in this
Archive. Recently, terminals/PCs containing information from the Cornwall Family History Society have been provided.
The archives are open twice a week, manned by volunteers;
Tuesday 2 - 4 pm and Fridays 10 am till noon and 2 - 4 pm. Some
limited researches can be carried out by post; relevant charges can be obtained
by first contacting the Archives. Admission is free. Researchers can contact the Archives during
opening hours on 07530976981. To contact the Archives by post, write to: Torpoint Archive, Council Offices, 3 Bullers Road, Torpoint, Cornwall PL11 2LQ.
Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not yet been recorded.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Torpoint was enumerated as part of St Germans.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Antony with Torpoint (HO107/1900), Enumeration
Districts 5a, and 5b [including Workhouses], 5c and 5d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. In 1861, the Census of Torpoint (RG9/1523) seems to be recorded under Antony St Jacob. This is available on-line from the Cornwall
Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. In 1871, the Census of Torpoint (RG10/2299) seems to be recorded under Antony. This is available on-line from the Cornwall
Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Torpoint (RG11/2280) is available on-line from the Cornwall
Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Torpoint (RG12/1806) is available on-line from the Cornwall
Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX4355 and was dedicated to St James. It is a very plain building of stone which is located in the middle of the town. It was opened on 11th April 1819. A gallery surrounds three sides of the church. The chancel is within the building. The church has a bell turret containing a single bell. The registers date from 1819.
There is a separate Anglican church at Merifield (Maryfield). This church is a small building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, transept and north aisle; there are several stained windows. The church can seat 100 persons.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Roman Catholic. Before the Reformation, Torpoint did not exist as a parish, but there were parish churches at Antony, St. John and St. Germans. By the middle of the 20th century a few Catholic families in the area had to travel to the Cathedral or to Mutton Cove in Devonport for Mass each Sunday, in all weathers; without public transport, Midnight Mass was something of an adventure as there was no all-night ferry, it meant finding accommodation on the other side of the river. Some years later a police boat was made available for the little Catholic Community returning from Midnight Mass. Eventually the Catholic population had grown sufficiently to promote the idea of a Mass centre in Torpoint. Priests came from Devonport and offered House Masses. Later, the British Legion Hut in Torpoint was used for the Eucharistic Celebration. As fervour increased a church building fund was initiated. In 1932 Bishop Barrett laid the foundation stone of the Church of St. Joan of Arc. The solemn opening took place in March of the following year.
There is a further chapel, dedicated to Our Lady Star of the Sea, at the Royal Naval base, HMS Raleigh, in Torpoint.
- Non-Conformist. The Congregationalists, Wesleyan Methodists
and Bible Christians all had chapels here.
- See under Archives above.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1819 - 1968, Burials 1928 -
1972, Marriages 1873 - 1975.
- Baptisms. Torpoint baptism registers start 1819.
- Baptisms 1819 to 1913 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- (See the on-line parish records for the Rame peninsular parishes).
- The Plymouth Record Office holdings: Bible Christian Methodist Baptisms 1884-1887.
- Banns. Banns 1901 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Torpoint is in the St Germans Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been
abolished. The parish is now part of the Cornwall County Council.
Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Post Office Directory of Torpoint 1856.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC for Antony (including Torpoint) has produced an OPC website for the parish.
From 1904, Torpoint parish became part of the St
Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. The St Germans
Union workhouse was built in 1837-8 at Torpoint. It was designed by Charles
Lang who was also the architect of the Launceston Union workhouse. The Poor Law
Commissioners authorised the sum of £4,300 on construction of the building
which was intended to accommodate 250 inmates. The workhouse location and
layout are shown on the OS map of 1894.
The parish was created from part of Antony parish in 1819.
- Population in 1801 - 1795 persons
- Population in 1811 - 2144 persons
- Population in 1821 - 2642 persons
- Population in 1831 - 3009 persons
- Population in 1841 - 2894 persons
- Population in 1851 - 3201 persons
- Population in 1861 - 3887 persons
- Population in 1871 - 3954
persons, plus 40 persons on shipping
- Population in 1881 - 3201 persons
- Population in 1891 - 3684 persons
- Population in 1901 - 4362 persons
- Population in 1911 - 4953 persons
- Population in 1921 - 5240 persons
- Population in 1931 - 3975 persons
- Population in 1951 - 5953 persons
- Population in 1961 - 4268 persons
- Population in 1971 - 4787 persons
- Population in 1981 - 8565 persons
- Population in 1991 - 9505 persons
- Population in 2001 - 8457 persons
- Population in 2011 - 8364 persons
The Rame Peninsula History Group was formed at its inaugural meeting on 30 January 2003. Its aim is to research, record and promote interest in the heritage of the Rame Peninsula.
The parish consists of 1975 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2014
[Last updated: 12th March 2014 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.