The parish of Treneglos, (Cornish: Treneglos), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and the
Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by Warbstow, on the east by
Tremaine and Tresmere, on the south by Laneast and St Clether, and on the west
by Davidstow and Warbstow. Treneglos is situated in north Cornwall near the
Devonshire border. The Cornish origin of name is 'Farm of the
church'. Although Treneglos was not rated in the Domesday Survey of
1086, a reference to the church can be found in that survey.
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 229 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Treneglos (HO107/140), Enumeration
District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Treneglos (HO107/1899), Enumeration
District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Part of the 1851 Census of Treneglos is available from the West-Penwith resources as part of the 1851 British Census 2% sample - Cornwall.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Treneglos (RG9/1518) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project. The enumeration districts of the parish for this census cannot be determined.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Treneglos (RG10/2223), Enumeration
District 7a, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Treneglos (RG11/2275), Enumeration
District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Treneglos (RG12/1802), Enumeration
District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX2088 and was dedicated to St
Gregory. The church consists of a chancel and nave, and north aisle. The
entrance is by a south porch, but there is also a north door.
a church here from Saxon times; in the Domesday Survey of 1086, the church was
given to the Priory at Tywardreath. The church was confirmed to the Priory by
Bishop Chichester on 14th February 1154. The present church was rebuilt in
1858, and the tower having become very dilapidated, was taken down in 1871 and
completely rebuilt; the four bells were reused.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Bible Christian chapel at Bethel.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Treneglos are: E022141, C022141, M022141. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1676 - 1813.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1686 - 1812, Burials 1675 - 1812,
Marriages 1675 - 1838, Boyd's Marriage Index 1694 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1597 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages.
- Baptisms 1686 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1695 to 1812 for this parish.
- The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1813 to 1908 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Launceston wesleyan Circuit. These comprise baptisms (1837-1900). The areas cover Launceston, South Petherwin, Lewannick, North Hill, Altarnun, Linkinhorne, St Stephens, Lezant, Egloskerry, Egloskerry, Treneglos, Stoke Climsland, Laneast and Lawhitton.
- Burials 1695 to 1936 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or Book formats.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Launceston wesleyan Circuit. These comprise burials (1818-1880), including St Thomas Wesleyan Burials 1842- 1892). The areas cover Launceston, South Petherwin, Lewannick, North Hill, Altarnun, Linkinhorne, St Stephens, Lezant, Egloskerry, Egloskerry, Treneglos, Stoke Climsland, Laneast and Lawhitton.
The parish of Treneglos is in the Launceston Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St
Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Treneglos are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
Treneglos parish was part of the Launceston
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 196 persons
- Population in 1811 - 200 persons
- Population in 1821 - 238 persons
- Population in 1831 - 183 persons
- Population in 1841 - 192 persons
- Population in 1851 - 193 persons
- Population in 1861 - 138 persons
- Population in 1871 - 168 persons
- Population in 1881 - 168 persons
- Population in 1891 - 150 persons
- Population in 1901 - 124 persons
- Population in 1911 - 131 persons
- Population in 1921 - 115 persons
- Population in 1931 - 106 persons
- Population in 1951 - 97 persons
- Population in 1961 - 101 persons
- Population in 1971 - 79 persons
- Population in 1981 - 95 persons
- Population in 1991 - 115 persons
- Population in 2001 - 101 persons
- Population in 2012 - 107 persons
The parish comprises 2760 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 25th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.