Treslothan, (Cornish: Tresulwedhen), parish is the southern part of the original parish of Camborne from which it was created in 1845. It is in the Hundred of Penwith and Deanery of Carnmarth. One Sir William Pendarves, who lived in the 17th century, entertained his friends by mixing punch in a coffin made of copper. It was at this time copper competed in importance to tin, as shafts could now be sunk lower reaching the rich lodes below the tin.
Near to the Pendarves mausoleum is the grave of John Harris, he left Cornwall only once in the 64 years of his life. His only education was at the village school, but he taught himself to write poetry, saved money to buy books, built a house with his own hands. John born in Camborne in 1820 ceased schooling at the age of 9 and started working on a farm. At the age of 10 he went to Dolcoath mine as a dresser of copper ore, but found time to read his books and began to write verses about the scenes he saw every day. When some miners were killed in Carn Brea mine he wrote a poem in their memory which was sung in the streets of Camborne, and the rector, recognising his talent, lent him books of poetry. He became a lay preacher among the Wesleyans, but continued to write; another preacher who had started life as a farm lad but made a fortune in business, arranged for the publication of his poems. This resulted in a new volume almost every year. He was to win the first prize for a Shakespeare Tercentenery Poem, and it was in winning this prize that John mad his one journey outside Cornwall, to Stratford. In 1878 he had a paralytic stroke, but this did not prevent him from writing his last work - an Autobiography - which was published two years before his death at Falmouth.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)