Treslothan, (Cornish: Tresulwedhen), parish is the southern part of the original parish of Camborne
from which it was created in 1845. It is in the Hundred of Penwith and Deanery
of Carnmarth. One Sir William Pendarves, who lived in the 17th century,
entertained his friends by mixing punch in a coffin made of copper. It was at this
time copper competed in importance to tin, as shafts could now be sunk lower
reaching the rich lodes below the tin.
Near to the Pendarves mausoleum
is the grave of John Harris, he left Cornwall only once in the 64 years of his
life. His only education was at the village school, but he taught himself to
write poetry, saved money to buy books, built a house with his own hands. John
born in Camborne in 1820 ceased schooling at the age of 9 and started working
on a farm. At the age of 10 he went to Dolcoath mine as a dresser of copper
ore, but found time to read his books and began to write verses about the
scenes he saw every day. When some miners were killed in Carn Brea mine he
wrote a poem in their memory which was sung in the streets of Camborne, and the
rector, recognising his talent, lent him books of poetry. He became a lay
preacher among the Wesleyans, but continued to write; another preacher who had
started life as a farm lad but made a fortune in business, arranged for the
publication of his poems. This resulted in a new volume almost every year. He
was to win the first prize for a Shakespeare Tercentenery Poem, and it was in
winning this prize that John mad his one journey outside Cornwall, to
Stratford. In 1878 he had a paralytic stroke, but this did not prevent him from
writing his last work - an Autobiography - which was published two years before
his death at Falmouth.
- Memorial inscriptions from the Treslothan cemetery, and recorded by the
CORNWALL INSCRIPTIONS PROJECT were recorded during 2002 and 2003 when a total of 1122 memorials were found
with 2424 names noted.
- The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 251 entries.
Memorial inscriptions for Treslothan parish (1914-1918 and 1939-1945 Wars) are
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Treslothan was enumerated as part of Camborne.
- 1851. In the 1851 Census, Treslothan (HO107/1916) was enumerated as part of Camborne, which is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Treslothan (RG9/1584) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Treslothan (RG10/2326) is available on-line from the Cornwall On-line Census project as follows:
Enumeration Districts 12 to 14, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project. (It should be noted that parts of this (St John's) parish are also included in Enumeration District 15).
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Treslothan (RG11/2335), Enumeration
Districts 8 to 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall On-line Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Treslothan, (Camborne, St John's - RG12/1851), Enumeration
Districts 8 to 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall On-line Census project.
Early records will be found under Camborne. Also parish is stated as 'Camborne' until 1876.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW6537 and was dedicated to St John the
Evangelist. From the WEST BRITON Newspaper, Friday 5th August, 1842: CONSECRATION OF NEW CHURCHES - On Monday se'nnight, his Lordship (the Lord Bishop of Exeter) consecrated the Chapel of Ease to Camborne, recently erected at Treslothan.
"The chapel is built in the earliest pointed or 'lancet style' - a style to be 'especially cultivated by all who are not more influenced by Episcopal associations and ideas of apostolic descent than by limited pecuniary means and the necessities of a subscription list.' So speaks the architect himself in his 'Palace of Architecture.' The lancet arch and window, though capable of being rendered highly ornate, admit of an almost perfect simplicity, and it has been Mr. WIGHTWICK's aim to carry on the decorative only so far as might leave undiminished the expenditure required to provide solid material and substantial workmanship. In the present instance, the decorative character of the building, particularly its beautiful open roof, is, we understand, mainly owing to the liberality of E.W.W. PENDARVES, Esq., M.P., who, in addition to the site, handsomely gave a donation of £500; and we understand the architect has expressly acknowledged that in this instance, he desires to make no excuses on the score of too limited means. Economy has, of course, been necessary; but he has been enabled to work out his theme satisfactorily to himself, and is content to abide by that critical judgment which may be formed with reference to an outlay of £1,500. The entire length of the building is 90 feet; its extreme width,36. The main chapel has an arch of 62 feet by 30 feet, and an altitude of 30 feet. At the west end is the choir,in a large arched recess,and at the east end is another arch, opening into the chancel, beyond which (divided from it by the alter-screen), is a robing-room. The chancel projection is flanked by two porches. The stone cross which rises from the apex of the chancel gable is in fact the chimney top of the vestry flue. The western gable is crowned by a simple turret of solid granite, in which swings a fine-toned bell of 4 cwt. The interior derives richness of effect from the perspective of the roof, the trusses of which are visible to a certain height, and decorated with moulded joinery." (Extract from THE WEST BRITON - Friday, October 8th, 1841).
The present church was openind on 6th October 1841 and was consecrated on 25th July 1842 before the
creation of its parish in 1845. In one of the graves sleeps William Cole
Pendarves who was churchwarden here for half a century; the mausoleum of the
Pendarves family is in the churchyard.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
The parish is now part of the Crowan and Treslothan ministry.
- Non-Conformist. There was a United Methodist Free Church at Troon,
and a Wesleyan church at Troon and Beacon.
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1845 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1845 to 1929 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1845 - 1991, Marriages 1845
The parish of Treslothan is in the Registration District of Camborne-Redruth, and has been since its creation. Parishes in this registration district are: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar of Camborne-Redruth is: Roskear, Camborne, TR14 8DN. Tel: 01209 612924.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC has produced a genealogical website for the Town of Camborne.
Treslothan parish became part of the Redruth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
Treslothan was created from part of Camborne parish in 1845. Population figures
before this date are with that parish.
- Population in 1851 - 1757 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1804 persons
- Population in 1871 - 2011 persons
- Population in 1881 - 2027 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2240 persons
- Population in 1901 - 2383 persons
- Population in 1911 - 2509 persons
- Population in 1921 - 2264 persons
- Population in 1931 - 2117 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1842 persons
- Population in 1961 - 0 persons
- Population in 1971 - 0 persons
- Population in 1981 - 0 persons
- Population in 1991 - 0 persons
- Population in 2001 - 0 persons
- Population in 2011 - 0 persons
The parish comprises 1950 acres of land and 2 acres of water.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2012
[Last updated: 26th March 2012 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.