The parish of Treverbyn, (Cornish: Treverbin), (known locally as Bugle), is in the Hundred and Deanery of Powder. It was created in 1846, under the Church Endowment Act (of Parliament), from the northern half of the St Austell parish. It extends from the east side of the Gover Stream (also called the White River) that runs down the Gover Valley (known locally as "The Stents"). From there it extends throughout prime china clay country past the great Carclaze mine (once the largest in the country - over a mile around), which has been in production for over 400 years, first for tin and copper, then china clay. The parish continues to Trethurgy (meaning farm of Devergi, per Padel). It then goes northward past Rescorla and Rosevear to just north of Bugle. It then angles south-west past Goonbarrow China Clay Works and Hensbarrow Downs.
This encompasses some of the richest china clay deposits in the world - the quality of which is equaled by only four other places in the world! Mines included Carclaze, Hensbarrow, Goonbarrow, Ninestones, Gunheath, and Greensplat. These were the "first, oldest, and best" clayworks owned by the people "to whom the industry owes everything": Martins, Loverings, Varcoes, Higmans, Stockers, and Nichollses. According to the Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum, the value of the china clay mined from this area (and St. Austell parish), if valued in today's money, would equal £13.5 billion. The museum, near Carthew on the west side of the parish and which includes original mine buildings and equipment, offers an authentic view of 19th century mining experience. The A391 runs through the parish from St.Austell to Bodmin. The chief industry is still the mining of china clay. Until recently the landscape was notable for its pyramids of waste made from the extraction process, but these are now being flattened out.
The parish centers on the village of Bugle, which grew up in the 19th century around an inn of the same name. The rapid growth occurred while china clay mining was at its zenith (1840 to 1914). Other villages included in the parish are Treverbyn, Carthew, Stenalees, and Penwithick. Chapels - including Primitive and United Methodist - proliferated in the "Higher Quarters", as the parish was known. According to Rowse, village life revolved around these chapels.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)