GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Treverbyn

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Treverbyn, (Cornish: Treverbin), (known locally as Bugle), is in the Hundred and Deanery of Powder. It was created in 1846, under the Church Endowment Act (of Parliament), from the northern half of the St Austell parish. It extends from the east side of the Gover Stream (also called the White River) that runs down the Gover Valley (known locally as "The Stents"). From there it extends throughout prime china clay country past the great Carclaze mine (once the largest in the country - over a mile around), which has been in production for over 400 years, first for tin and copper, then china clay. The parish continues to Trethurgy (meaning farm of Devergi, per Padel). It then goes northward past Rescorla and Rosevear to just north of Bugle. It then angles south-west past Goonbarrow China Clay Works and Hensbarrow Downs.

This encompasses some of the richest china clay deposits in the world - the quality of which is equaled by only four other places in the world! Mines included Carclaze, Hensbarrow, Goonbarrow, Ninestones, Gunheath, and Greensplat. These were the "first, oldest, and best" clayworks owned by the people "to whom the industry owes everything": Martins, Loverings, Varcoes, Higmans, Stockers, and Nichollses. According to the Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum, the value of the china clay mined from this area (and St. Austell parish), if valued in today's money, would equal 13.5 billion. The museum, near Carthew on the west side of the parish and which includes original mine buildings and equipment, offers an authentic view of 19th century mining experience. The A391 runs through the parish from St.Austell to Bodmin. The chief industry is still the mining of china clay. Until recently the landscape was notable for its pyramids of waste made from the extraction process, but these are now being flattened out.

The parish centers on the village of Bugle, which grew up in the 19th century around an inn of the same name. The rapid growth occurred while china clay mining was at its zenith (1840 to 1914). Other villages included in the parish are Treverbyn, Carthew, Stenalees, and Penwithick. Chapels - including Primitive and United Methodist - proliferated in the "Higher Quarters", as the parish was known. According to Rowse, village life revolved around these chapels.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Treverbyn has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from its creation in 1850. There were sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Return to top of page

Land & Property

In 1660, there was a Parliamentary (Taxation) Survey undertaken of Cornwall; this listed Freeholders, Copyholders and Leaseholders of land. The list for the Manor of Treverbyn Courtney (or Courtnay), in St Austell parish, is available on-line.

Return to top of page

Manors

The only two manors applicable to Treverbyn parish were those of Treverbyn and Tewington which were originally in St Austell parish prefer the parish was created in 1850. The surviving document relevent to these parishes are as follows:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Treverbyn parish became part of the St Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.

Return to top of page

Population

Treverbyn was created from part of St Austell 1850. Population figures before 1850 are with St Austell.

  • Population in 1851 - 2003 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2109 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2489 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 2712 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 2867 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 3301 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 4064 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 4283 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 4251 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 4088 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 0 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 0 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 4780 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 5441 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 6159 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 7611 persons

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 6000 acres of land.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

    Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an Organisation.