Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Truro St John
St John's parish, (Cornish: Truru Sen Jowann), is a relatively modern parish of Truro, in the southern part of the city. It was created from part of Truro in 1852. It is named after the 19th century church of St. John to whom the church is dedicated.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1861. In 1861, the parish was enumerated under Truro, St Mary.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Truro, St John is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Truro, St John is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Truro, St John (RG12/1830), Enumeration Districts 1 to 3 [including schools], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8244 and was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The foundation stone was laid on 5th April 1827, and opened in 1828. It is situated in Lemon Street, and was built in the Italian style. Over the entrance is a Grecian bell turret which originally contained a single bell. The church can accommodate 1000 persons.
More photographs of St John's Church are available on-line.
Another church, dedicated to St Andrew, was openened in this parish in 1899; details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1852 - 1957, Marriages 1865 - 1966.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Truro, St John are available.
You can see pictures of Truro St John which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Truro St John has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW824444 (Lat/Lon: 50.259334, -5.054324), Truro St John which are provided by:
Truro St John parish became part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief after its creation.
Population figures for St John's parish are usually included in Truro City. However, in 1881, the population of the parish is separately recorded as 2185 persons, and in 1901 the population is recorded as 2236 persons.