Truro, St Mary
St Mary's, (Cornish: Truru Sen Maria), is the ancient parish of Truro; it now contains the cathedral and
central part of the city. Originally it comprised the old municipal borough of
Truro, which was situated in the Deanery and
Hundred of Powder. The parish is situated at the junction of the Kenwyn and
Allen rivers and having an outlet to the sea on the south Cornish coast, it was
for a long time a busy port and centre of commerce. In 1877 Truro was granted
city status and three years later the foundation stone of the cathedral was
laid. This was the first cathedral to be built in England since 1710, a site
being chosen right in the centre of the town incorporating part of the 16th
century parish church of St.Marys.
There was originally a church burial ground but this was very small. A new
cemetery at the northern extremity of the borough was consecrated on 15th July
1780, to which an addition was made in 1805. The Cornwall Family History Society
published Monumental Inscriptions for St Mary's Parish Church - 2986 entries.
St Mary's cemetery no longer exists, and a municipal burial ground was
opened in the 19th century (see Truro City).
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Truro, St Mary (HO107/148), Enumeration
Districts 1 to 3 [including schools], 4 and 5 [including Workhouses], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Truro, St Mary (HO107/1910) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Truro, St Mary is listed
in Volume 19. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Truro, St Mary, (RG9/1558) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871 The 1871 Census of Truro, St Mary (RG10/2282), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Truro, St Mary, (RG11/2311) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Truro, St Mary, (RG12/1829) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW8244 and was dedicated to St Mary.
The church was first consecrated on 28th September 1259 by Bishop Bronescombe,
and on 6th November 1328, Bishop Grandisson dedicated a major rebuilding. The
church was rebuilt again and completed around 1518. The 16th century church had
comprised a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, an organ loft, a Grammar
School gallery, a north gallery and a vestry. The church was dismantled in 1880
when the construction of Truro Cathedral
was begun, the new building was grafted onto St Mary's Church. The remains of the church, incorporated into the Cathedral, are now known as St Mary's aisle. The Cathedral's three spires soar over the city and are now a well-known landmark.
Details about the plans of St Mary's church (Catherdral) are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. The
Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel in Union Place in 1830. (see also entries
under Truro City).
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1597 - 1946, Burials 1597 - 1943,
Marriages 1597 - 1968, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1839, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, Non-Conformist records 1760 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1607 to 1835, and 1887 to 1911, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Banns. Banns 1902 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages 1813 to 1819 and 1837 to 1901 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1722 to 1833 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
Although originally Truro, St Mary was treated as its own parish, it became
subsumed under the civil administrative arrangement of the City of Truro during the 19th century.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
- The parish and town tithe maps, and accompanying survey books of c1840, provide a fascinating snap-shot of land use and ownership in the 19th century. In order to preserve the documents and improve access to them, the Cornwall Record Office are digitising these maps and survey books. The CD ROM tithe package include a map and survey books, together with a reader, for this town; it is now available from the Cornwall Record Office. Details are on their website.
Truro St Mary parish was part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Truro St Mary is the original ancient parish of Truro.
Population figures are listed under Truro City, which was known as Truro Urban District. The following figures are the population of the parish of St Mary's which are
part of that total:
- Population in 1841 - 3043 persons
- Population in 1851 - 598 persons
- Population in 1861 - 3105 persons
- Population in 1871 - 2923 persons
- Population in 1881 - 2766 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2500 persons
- Population in 1901 - 2443 persons
- Population in 1911 - 2314 persons
- Population in 1921 - 2056 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1970 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1387 persons
The parish of Truro St Mary comprised 51 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2011
[Last updated: 19th January 2011 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.