|[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]|
St Paul's, (Cornish: Truru Sen Pawl), is a relatively modern parish of Truro, created 1865 from part of St Clement's. It is situated in the eastern part of the city, and is named after the 19th century church of St. Paul. (Also see main entry in Truro St Mary).
Cornwall FHS have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 44 entries.
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8244 and was dedicated to
St Paul. It is located in Agar Road, amid a populous district taken from part
of St Clement. It is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting originally of chancel, nave, south aisle and south porch: in 1884 it was restored under the direction of J.D. Sedding esq. architect of London, and a new chancel erected of Polyphant stone from Lewannie, near Launceston, the lower stage of a tower erected so as to form the east end of the south aisle, and transepts added, beneath which are vestry and parish rooms; the new chancel is divided from the nave by a screen of carved oak, consisting of a central arch and two arched openings on either side with a rood loft above, erected as a memorial to Jessie Gardiner, by her husband: the brass eagle lectern was the gift of Miss Mansel Tweedy of Alverton: the east window is a memorial of the late Sir Philip Prothereo Smith, of Truro, d. 24 June, 1882, and there are four other stained windows,; in 1889 a north aisle was built and the roof of the nave raised; the total cost of the alterations has been £3,360: there are 610 sittings. The register dates from the year 1865.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
In 2001, the parish of St Paul had united with St Clement. Sadly this church is now CLOSED for health & safety reasons. Worshippers now meet at St. John's Church, Lemon Street, another of the churches within this United Benefice.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
Truro St Paul parish became part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief after it was created.
The population figures for for Truro, St Paul are included in those of Truro City. However, in 1881 the population of this parish was 2800 persons, and 1901 the population is recorded as 3283 persons.
The parish comprises 316 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.