Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Tuckingmill, (Cornish: Melindrukkya), is in the Hundred and Deanery of Penwith. It is located in a suburb of Camborne, close to Pool, and was created from neighbouring central portions of Camborne and Illogan parishes in 1845. A Tucking Mill was the west-country term for a fulling mill, i.e. where the homespun cloth was dipped, cleansed and dressed. It was here that William Bickford invented and produced the well-known safety fuse for conveying fire to the charge in blasting the explosives used in mining and elsewhere.
The Camborne Gas Works used to be located within this parish. The main centre of population is Pool.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- Memorial inscriptions from the Tuckingmill cemeteries, and recorded by the CORNWALL INSCRIPTIONS PROJECT, found memorials in the church, in the large churchyard as well as in several chapels. The parish war memorial is located in the churchyard. There are the inevitable miscellaneous public memorials around the parish.
- War Memorial inscriptions for Tuckingmill parish (1914-1918 and 1939-1945 Wars) are available on-line.
- Monumental Inscriptions at Tuckingmill are on-line as follows:
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Tuckingmill was enumerated as part of Camborne.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Tuckingmill is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861.The 1861 Census of Tuckingmill (RG9/1584) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. In the 1871 Census, Tuckingmill was enumerated under:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Tuckingmill is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Tuckingmill (RG12/1848), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The parish church is located in Pendarves Street, Camborne (OS Grid Square SW6540) and is dedicated to All Saints. The church was built of stone in the 'Mock Norman Style' in 1845 by the Basset family. It has the largest arch in Cornwall (outside Truro Cathedral). The church is a spacious and impressive building consisting of a nave, chancel, south aisle, north porch and a western tower containing one bell. The font bowl dates from 12th century, so was clearly brought from elsewhere. The windows above the main altar on the east side depict the birth, crucifixion and ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ. Sadly, there has been considerable damage in recent years to the north and south windows. The registers date from 1845. Details about the plans of this church are available on-line.
- Another Mission Church in this parish was built at Brea in 1888.
- Non-Conformist. There were chapels in the parish for the Wesleyan Methodists, United Methodist Free Church, and the Primitive Methodists.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1845 - 1930, Marriages 1845 - 1976 and Burials 1845 - 1967.
- On-line Baptism Records.
- Baptisms in the parish (1845 to 1902) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Tuckingmill Methodist Chapel baptisms 1844 to 1847 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has made the following Tuckingmill baptisms available on-line:
- Banns. Banns 1890 to 1911 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- On-line Marriage Records.
- Marriages in the parish (1845 to 1907) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has made the following Tuckingmill marriages available on-line:
- On-line Burial Records.
- Burials in the parish (1845 to 1936) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has made the following Tuckingmill burials available on-line:
- Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.
- The parish of Tuckingmill is in the Registration District of Camborne-Redruth, as part of Camborne, and has been since its creation in 1845. There were sub-districts at Camborne, Gwennap, Illogan, Phillack and Redruth which have been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar of Camborne-Redruth is: Roskear, Camborne, TR14 8DN. Tel: 01209 612924.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Tuckingmill are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Tuckingmill which are provided by:
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC has produced a genealogical website for the Town of Camborne (including Tuckingmill).
You can see the administrative areas
in which Tuckingmill has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW657407 (Lat/Lon: 50.219724, -5.285945), Tuckingmill which are provided by:
Tuckingmill parish became part of the Redruth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
The parish was created from part of Camborne parish in 1845. Population figures before this date are with Camborne.
- Population in 1851 - 3298 persons
- Population in 1861 - 3769 persons
- Population in 1871 - 4108 persons
- Population in 1881 - 3717 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2887 persons
- Population in 1901 - 4279 persons
- Population in 1911 - 4566 persons
- Population in 1921 - 4307 persons
- Population in 1931 - 4169 persons
- Population in 1951 - 3970 persons
- Population in 1961 - 0 persons
- Population in 1971 - 0 persons
- Population in 1981 - 6830 persons (including Pool)
- Population in 1991 - 0 persons
- Population in 2001 - 0 persons
- Population in 2011 - 0 persons