Tywardreath, (Cornish: Chi war Dreth), parish is situated
in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Luxulyan
and Lanlivery, on the east by Golant (St Sampson) and Fowey, and on the south
and west by the sea, Par harbour and the River Par, which separates it from St
Austell and St Blazey. Tywardreath has suffered from a multitude of different
spellings since it appeared in the Domeday Survey of 1086 as Tiwardrai.
The name possibly means 'House on the strand' (O.J.Padel). It is located
inland from Par Sands on the south coast of Cornwall. A Benedictine priory was
established here soon after the Norman Conquest. The occupants however seemed
more concerned with amassing wealth rather than spreading the word of God, and
consequently received a reprimand from their bishop. The priory was eventually
dismantled in 1540.
The village of Tywardreath lies on the Pilgrim's Way and through which many pilgrims passed on their way to Fowey for onward travel to holy shrines in southern Europe and the Holy Land. The parish has been closely associated with the
Rashleigh family, some of whom lived here. Apart from Tywardreath, the villages
are: Polkerris, Highway, Par, Polmear, Middleway Bridge, and Chapel Down.
Tywardreath is now closely connected with the parish of Golant (St Sampson).
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1176 entries,
and the municipal cemetery.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Tywardreath (HO107/146), Enumeration
Districts 1 to 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Tywardreath (HO107/1906) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Tywardreath is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Tywardreath is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Tywardreath (RG11/2299), Enumeration
Districts 7 to 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Tywardreath (RG12/1821), Enumeration
Districts 7 to 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- History. In around 1135, the Benedictine
priory of St Andrew was founded at Tywardreath, overlooking St Austell Bay,
a daughter house of Saint's Sergius and Bacchus of Angers, with which its
relationship persisted not always harmoniously, for nearly 300 years. At one
time it was a substantial place consisting of a chapel, a refectory, dormitory,
prior's lodging, guest chamber, chapter house and cloister. The buildings of
which were situated South of the present church. The Priory Church, 80 feet
long and 57 feet wide, catered for the needs of the local population, possibly
a reason why there was no parish church in Tywardreath until the 14th century.
The priory was closed in 1540 under the Reformation undertaken by Henry
VIII. There are now three places of worship in the parish remaining:
- Tywardreath Parish Church (dedicated to St Andrew).
- Tregaminion Chapel-of-Ease, near Polkerris.
- Tywardreath Methodist Church in Well Street.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX0854 and was dedicated to St Andrew by David Mageraghty, Archbishop of Armagh, on 30th July 1347. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle and north
transept. The arcade has six semi-circular arches supported on monolith granite
pillars. There are a south porch, a north door, a priest's door, and a
vestry door. The tower, which was added in 1480, has four stages, and is finished with battlements only; it contains six bells. Apart from the Tower, the church was almost completely rebuilt in 1880, when an organ chamber was added and a new organ installed.
William Rashleigh built the chapel-of-ease at Tregaminion in 1815.
- Non-Conformists. The Wesleyan Methodists built a large stone chapel in Tywardreath town in 1828, and another was located at Polkerris. The Bible Christians also built a chapel at Tywardreath in 1858; they had built another at Highway in 1841.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Tywardreath are: C0533501, C021682, P0216681. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage for this parish is 1608 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1642 - 1967, Burials 1642 - 1972,
Marriages 1642 - 1975, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1608 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1606 to 1636, and 1642 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The SOCIETY of FRIENDS (Quakers) - Christenings taken from Fowey Circuit Records, is available on-line, courtesy of the St Austell OPC. These include individuals from Tywardreath.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1715 to 1841 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1874 to 1900) of the St Austell Primitive Methodist Circuit. Areas include: St Austell, St Blazey, St Winnow, Par, Polgooth, Tywardreath, Roche and Holmbush.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1642 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1642 to 1812, and an index of marriages 1642 to 1837, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Tywardreath has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have
now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Tywardreath are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Tywardreath ecclesiastical parish:
- Tywardreath parish was part of the St
Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1819 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 727 persons
- Population in 1811 - 741 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1238 persons
- Population in 1831 - 2288 persons
- Population in 1841 - 3152 persons
- Population in 1851 - 3287 persons
- Population in 1861 - 3379 persons
- Population in 1871 - 2370 persons
- Population in 1881 - 2129 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2097persons
- Population in 1901 - 2215 persons
- Population in 1911 - 205 persons
- Population in 1921 - 199 persons
- Population in 1931 - 2414 persons
- Population in 1951 - 2512 persons
- Population in 1961 - 2617 persons
- Population in 1971 - 2625 persons
- Population in 1981 - 2477 persons
- Population in 1991 - 2638 persons
- Population in 2001 - 3161 persons (Tywardreath and Par)
- Population in 2011 - 3192 persons (Tywardreath and Par)
Vicars of Tywardreath from AD 1261 are listed and are available on-line.
The parish comprises 3365 acres of land.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.