Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Veryan

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Veryan

Veryan, (Cornish: Elerghi), (sometime called St Veryan is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Cornelly, and Cuby-with-Tregony, on the east by Cuby and St Michael Caerhays, on the south by the sea, and on the west by Philleigh and Ruan Lanihorne. Veryan was originally mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as the manor of Elerkey, which name was derived from Elerk, the Cornish for 'swan'. This manor also included that of Ruan-Lanihorne. The present name is a corruption of St Symphorian, the patron saint of the parish church, which in 1679 had become St Verian. The parish of Veryan stretches from the south coast of Cornwall nearly to Tregony; it contains Veryan Churchtown, Veryan Green, Portloe, Carne, Treviskey, and Treartha, and many other small hamlets and farms. The village is well known for the five round houses built in the early 19th century by the Reverend Jeremiah Trist; these were built for his daughters without any corners for the devil to 'lurk in'.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1821. In 1821, a parish census was taken by the authorities. This Census consisted of the names of all the Household Heads, their place of residence, their occupations, the genders and approximate ages of the head and the rest of the household. The age was given as 20+ for a 25 year old person or 50+ for a 59 year old person. The results are on-line.
  • 1841.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Veryan (HO107/1909), (Enumeration Districts 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The OPC has also made the 1851 Census of Veryan available on-line.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Veryan is listed in Volume 17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861.
  • 1871. The OPC has made the 1871 Census of Veryan available on-line.
  • 1881.
  • 1891.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Veryan area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. There are two Anglican churches in the parish:
    • Parish Church. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9139. In 1110 a church at Veryan was given to an order of Cluniac monks who later dedicated it to St. Symphorian, a French martyr. The earliest architecture of the present church dates to about the 13th century, but the walls and roof were completely rebuilt in 1847-50. The church comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, and a south transept. The arcade consists of eight pointed arches of porcelain stone supported on pillars of the same naterial. The entrances are a south porch, a west porch, and a north door. There is the head of an ancient Celtic cross set over the arch of the south porch. The tower is situated on the south side of the church and adjoins the transept. It is 60 feet high, has three stages, and contained three bells and a clock.
    • Portloe. There was a Mission Church of Veryan Parish Church, which is located in Portloe. It is dedicated to All Saints.
  • Non-Conformist. There were Bible Christian chapels at Portlo, Port Holland, and at Ebenezer; there was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Trewartha.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1683 - 1966, Burials 1683 - 1974, Marriages 1683 - 1974, Boyd's Marriage Index 1602 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1602 - 1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1681 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The baptisms of the St Mawes Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, taken from LDS film 2276204, images 1789-1989 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints) are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC. These records relate to the whole of the Roseland Peninsula including St Mawes, St Just in Roseland, St Anthony in Roseland, Gerrans, Portscatho, Philleigh, Veryan, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1730 to 1845 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
    • Transcription of the baptisms of the Mevagissey Bible Christian Circuit 1838-1907, taken from LDS film 2276210 images 1913-2413 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints). These records relate to several parishes close to Mevagissey including Gorran, Veryan, St Ewe, St Austell, Gerrans, St Just-in-Roseland, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
  • Banns. Banns 1754 to 1811, and 1823 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages
    • Phillimore marriages 1676 to 1812, marriages 1813 to 1846, and indexes of marriages 1683 to 1754, 1754 to 1812, and 1839 to 1906, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Phillimore's Marriages at Veryan - 1676 to 1812 are also available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1602 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
    • The Cornwall Parish Registers Index contains Marriages 1676 to 1722 for this parish. The index is searcheable by surname.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1671 to 1900, and 1678 to 1802 (Bishops Transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.

Civil Registration

The parish of Veryan has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of Veryan are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Veryan which are provided by:

Genealogy

  • OPC Assistance.
    • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
    • The OPC has produced a genealogical website for the parish.
  • Mailing List. There are also two mailing list for Veryan parish.
    • One list discusses all genealogy to do with the town and parish. To join or leave a list, send an email to: eng-cornwall-veryan-l@rootsweb.com with the single word 'subscribe' or unsubscribe (as appropriate) in the text. The subscribing/unsubscribing (joining/leaving) process is entirely automatic. It should be realised that there isn't any person involved in adding or subtracting list members, so such messages should not be sent to the mailing list itself; they will not be actioned.
    • British-Genealogy have a mailing list for those wanting to discuss ancestry in Veryan.
  • Strays.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Veryan ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Veryan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Veryan to another place.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW910390 (Lat/Lon: 50.213939, -4.930858), Veryan which are provided by:

Military Records

  • The OPC has researched the histories of the 16 men who are named on the War Memorial at Veryan - men who had died while on active service during World War I. These are now on-line. He also lists all the men of the Parish of Veryan who served in the Great European War, 1914 - 1919 on the website.

Names, Personal

All people who spent time in Veryan, 1683-1900 are listed. This information is taken from the Church index of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials and from the Census returns. Note that the dates of birth are actually the dates of baptism if there is a full date (day, month,year); otherwise the date of birth is approximate.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Veryan parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 1007 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1092 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1421 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1525 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1569 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1488 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1399 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1358 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1279 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1259 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1033 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 970 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 943 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 886 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 993 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 895 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 876 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 790 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 890 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 982 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 900 persons

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Veryan are available on-line.

Statistics

The parish comprises 5592 acres of land and 35 acres of water.