Veryan, (Cornish: Elerghi), (sometime called St Veryan is situated in the Deanery and
Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Cornelly, and
Cuby-with-Tregony, on the east by Cuby and St
Michael Caerhays, on the south by the sea, and on the west by Philleigh and
Ruan Lanihorne. Veryan was originally mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as
the manor of Elerkey, which name was derived from Elerk, the
Cornish for 'swan'. This manor also included that of Ruan-Lanihorne. The
present name is a corruption of St Symphorian, the patron saint of the
parish church, which in 1679 had become St Verian. The parish of Veryan
stretches from the south coast of Cornwall nearly to Tregony; it contains
Veryan Churchtown, Veryan Green, Portloe, Carne, Treviskey, and Treartha, and
many other small hamlets and farms. The village is well known for the five
round houses built in the early 19th century by the Reverend Jeremiah Trist;
these were built for his daughters without any corners for the devil to
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1821. In 1821, a parish census was taken by the authorities. This Census consisted of the names of all the Household Heads, their place of residence, their occupations, the genders and
approximate ages of the head and the rest of the household. The age was given
as 20+ for a 25 year old person or 50+ for a 59 year old person. The results
- The 1851 Census of Veryan (HO107/1909), (Enumeration
Districts 1a, 1b, 1c and 1d) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The OPC has also made the 1851
Census of Veryan available on-line.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Veryan is listed in Volume
17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1871. The OPC has made the 1871
Census of Veryan available on-line.
- Anglican. There are two Anglican churches in the parish:
- Parish Church. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW9139. In 1110 a church at Veryan was
given to an order of Cluniac monks who later dedicated it to St. Symphorian, a
French martyr. The earliest architecture of the present church dates to about the 13th century,
but the walls and roof were completely rebuilt in 1847-50. The church comprises
a chancel, nave, north aisle, and a south transept. The arcade consists of
eight pointed arches of porcelain stone supported on pillars of the same
naterial. The entrances are a south porch, a west porch, and a north door.
There is the head of an ancient Celtic cross set over the arch of the south porch. The
tower is situated on the south side of the church and adjoins the transept. It
is 60 feet high, has three stages, and contained three bells and a clock.
- Portloe. There was a Mission Church of Veryan Parish Church, which is located in Portloe. It is dedicated to All Saints.
- Non-Conformist. There were Bible Christian chapels at Portlo,
Port Holland, and at Ebenezer; there was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1683 - 1966, Burials 1683 - 1974,
Marriages 1683 - 1974, Boyd's Marriage Index 1602 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1602 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1681 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The baptisms of the St Mawes Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, taken from LDS film 2276204, images 1789-1989 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints) are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC. These records relate to the whole of the Roseland Peninsula including St Mawes, St Just in Roseland, St Anthony in Roseland, Gerrans, Portscatho, Philleigh, Veryan, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1730 to 1845 for this parish.
- Transcription of the baptisms of the Mevagissey Bible Christian Circuit 1838-1907, taken from LDS film 2276210 images 1913-2413 (courtesy of the Church of Latter Day Saints). These records relate to several parishes close to Mevagissey including Gorran, Veryan, St Ewe, St Austell, Gerrans, St Just-in-Roseland, Ruan Lanihorne etc.
- Cornwall Legacy have published Baptisms of St Mawes Wesleyan Circuit 1838 - 1900 on CD. The Circuit covers St Mawes, St Just-in-Roseland, Gerrans, Veryan, Ruan Lanihorne, Philleigh, and St Anthony.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the Mevagissey Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers Mevagissey, Gorran, Veryan, Gerrans, St Ewe, St Mewan, part of St Austell and Ruan Lanihorn.
- Banns. Banns 1754 to 1811, and 1823 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore marriages 1676 to 1812, marriages 1813 to 1846, and indexes of marriages 1683 to 1754, 1754 to 1812, and 1839 to 1906, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's Marriages
at Veryan - 1676 to 1812 are also available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1602 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- The Cornwall Parish Registers Index contains Marriages 1676 to 1722 for this parish. The index is searcheable by surname.
- Burials 1671 to 1900, and 1678 to 1802 (Bishops Transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of Veryan has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Veryan are available on-line.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Veryan ecclesiastical parish:
- OPC Assistance.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
- The OPC has produced a genealogical
website for the parish.
- Mailing List. There are also two mailing list for Veryan parish.
- One list
discusses all genealogy to do with the town and parish. To join or leave a
list, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
with the single word 'subscribe' or unsubscribe (as appropriate) in the
text. The subscribing/unsubscribing (joining/leaving) process is entirely
automatic. It should be realised that there isn't any person involved in adding
or subtracting list members, so such messages should not be sent to the mailing
list itself; they will not be actioned.
- British-Genealogy have a mailing list for those wanting to discuss ancestry in Veryan.
- Persons born in Veryan but living elsewhere are known as "Strays". Veryan
'Strays' found in the 1881 Census are available on-line at:
- People who lived in Veryan Parish at some time between 1821 and 1891 but
were born outside the Parish are also
- The OPC has researched the histories of the 16 men who are named on the War Memorial at Veryan - men who had died while on active service during World War I. These are now on-line. He also lists all the men of the Parish of Veryan who served in the Great European War, 1914 - 1919 on the website.
people who spent time in Veryan, 1683-1900 are listed. This
information is taken from the Church index of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials
and from the Census returns. Note that the dates of birth are actually the
dates of baptism if there is a full date (day, month,year); otherwise the date
of birth is approximate.
Veryan parish was part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 1007 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1092 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1421 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1525 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1569 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1488 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1399 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1358 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1279 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1259 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1033 persons
- Population in 1911 - 970 persons
- Population in 1921 - 943 persons
- Population in 1931 - 886 persons
- Population in 1951 - 993 persons
- Population in 1961 - 895 persons
- Population in 1971 - 876 persons
- Population in 1981 - 790 persons
- Population in 1991 - 890 persons
- Population in 2001 - 982 persons
- Population in 2011 - 900 persons
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
Protestation Returns of 1642 for Veryan are available on-line.
The parish comprises 5592 acres of land and 35 acres of water.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2014
[Last updated: 12th March 2014 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.