"ALKMONTON, a township in the parish of Longford, hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 5 miles to the S.E. of Ashbourne. The living is a perpetual curacy in the dioc, of Lichfield, value £50, in the patronage of W. Evans, Esq. A hospital, dedicated to St. Leonard, was established in this parish before the year 1474."
"A township and small scattered village, 2 miles S.W. from Longford. The church, dedicated to St. John, was originally a chapel of ease to Longford, has since (with Bentley Hungry) been made a separate parish for all ecclesiastical purposes. The living is a perpetual curacy; the Rev. Alpheus Slight, M.A., is the incumbent. Here is an endowed school for boys and girls." [Ex. Harrison, Harrop & Co.'s Directory & Gazetteer of Derbyshire, 1860]