"ALLESTREY is a small parish, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, about two miles N. from Derby. The parish forms part of the Duchy of Lancaster, and is within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas, for the recovery of debts under 40s., held at Tutbury every third Tuesday. The places of worship are the parish church and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists: the former, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is an edifice of some antiquity, with a square tower; and several monuments of the Mundy family embellish the interior of the church. The living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of J. Mundy, esq. The parish contained in 1821, 361 inhabitants, and, in 1831, 501."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish is on the River Derwent and is currently a part of the conurbation of Derby city. Allestree village centre was made a Conservation Area in 1991 to preserve some of the older buildings and the "look" of the village.
The gates on Robincroft Road were first dedicated to the men of Allestree who lost their lives in the First World War and originally allowed access to the car park of Allestree Recreation Ground. The gates were renovated and rededicated in 2013 when the car park was extended.
The Allestree Memorial Hall was given to the village of Allestree as a memorial to those who died in two world wars. It is a meeting place for educational and social functions. It is managed by volunteers who have set up a Trust for funding.
The War Memorial for Allestree is to be found in the grounds of St. Edmund's Church. There are sixteen names for World War 1 and 19 for World War 2.