- The parish was in the Measham sub-district of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2267|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3243|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2508|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael and All Angels.
- The church stands in the Leicestershire portion of the parish.
- Tradition holds that the church was built on the site of a Roman temple.
- The church seats 600.
- Philip JEFFREY has a photograph of St Michael and All Angels' Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2014.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1572.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Sparkenhoe (first portion).
- Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Measham subdistrict of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Registration District.
"APPLEBY, a parish in the hundred of Sparkenhoe, in the county of Leicester, partly also in the hundred of Repton, in the county of Derby, 6 miles to the S.W. of Ashby-de-la Zouch. Atherstone is the post town. It lies near the point at which the four counties of Derby, Leicester, Stafford, and Warwick meet, and not far from the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough, value £750, in the patronage of G. Moors, Esq."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Appleby is just east of the A42 which you took southwest out of Ashby-de-la-Zouch.
Also see the Leicestershire, Appleby page.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Appleby entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Appleby from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- The Amenity Woodlands, just north of the village, is a small part of the national reforestation project.
- John POYSER has a photograph of the entrance to Amenity woodland on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
- This place was partly in the ancient Repton and Gresley Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Appleby Civil Parish was abolished in 1898 to create Appleby Magna Civil Parish within the boundaries of Leicestershire.
- Today the parish is administered as part of Leicestershire.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Ashby-de-la-Zouch petty session hearings.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1771.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, Packington became part of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Poorlaw Union.
- In 1839 the Misses MOOREs' Almshouses were built. These are now Grade II listed with British Heritage..