ASHOVER, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2518 & 2525
1871 R.G. 10 / 3604
1891 R.G. 12 / 2757
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"ASHOVER is a village, in the parish of its name, partly in the hundred of Wirksworth, but chiefly in Scarsdale hundred; 4 miles N.N.E. from Matlock, about 7 miles S. from Chesterfield, and about the like distance N.W. from Alfreton; pleasantly situate near the rivers Amber and Milntown: it is a place of considerable antiquity having had a church at the time of the conquest, and was formerly a market-town. Coal, iron-stone, mill-stone and lead are found in the parish, and the Gregory lead mine is said to have been, at one time, the richest in the kingdom, but of late years its produce has much decreased."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish also included the hamelt of Alton or Aulton, about 1.5 miles southeast of Ashover and the hamlet of Kelstedge, 1 mile north of the village.

You should review the content of the Ashover village website.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Ashover/index.html