"ASTON-UPON-TRENT is a parish and village, in the same hundred as Shardlow, two miles from that place, and about six and a half from Derby. The hall of Aston, a substantial mansion, the seat of Edward Anthony Holden, Esq. is in the village. At one time this place must have been of much more importance than at the present period, for we find that in 1256, the privilege of holding a market and fair was granted to it; both, however, have long been discontinued. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Holden family. The parish (which has no dependent township), contained, in 1831, 620 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish is close to the border with Leicestershire and 132 miles north of London. Visit the Aston upon Trent community website for a little local color. The current population is around 1,800.