ASTON UPON TRENT, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2490
1891 R.G. 12 / 2721
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"ASTON-UPON-TRENT is a parish and village, in the same hundred as Shardlow, two miles from that place, and about six and a half from Derby. The hall of Aston, a substantial mansion, the seat of Edward Anthony Holden, Esq. is in the village. At one time this place must have been of much more importance than at the present period, for we find that in 1256, the privilege of holding a market and fair was granted to it; both, however, have long been discontinued. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Holden family. The parish (which has no dependent township), contained, in 1831, 620 inhabitants."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish is close to the border with Leicestershire and 132 miles north of London. Visit the Aston upon Trent community website for a little local color. The current population is around 1,800.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Military Records

There are three Commonwealth War Graves in the Aston upon Trent churchyard from World War I:

  1. W. H. RILEY, priv., M. T. Depot, Army Service Corps, died 28 March 1917.
  2. C. H. SMITH, sapper, Royal Engineers, died 23 Feb. 1918.
  3. E. SMITH, lance corp., 10th Btn., Sherwood Foresters, age 30, died 29 May 1918. Son of Richard and Hannah SMITH.

W. H. RILEY is "probably" the son of local farmer Phillip RILEY.

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Societies

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/AstonuponTrent/index.html