- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint James.
- The church seats 500.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1648 for all entries.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Staveley.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Carburton sub-distgrict of the Worksop Registration District.
"BARLBOROUGH is a parish (having no dependent township) in the same hundred as Eckington, about three miles S.S.E. therefrom, nearly eight N.E. from Chesterfield, and about three W. from the village of Whitwell. In the neighbourhood are extensive collieries and mines of iron-stone; and the turnpike roads from Chesterfield to Worksop, and from Sheffield to Mansfield, cross, near the Village, at right angles."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
There is more information at Derbyshire Heritage.
- A Description of Barlborough has been transcribed by Heather Faulkes from Pigot's Directory of 1828.
- Ann Andrews provides a transcription of the Barlborough entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Barlborough from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- For a photograph of the Barlborough War Memorial see the Pictures of England site. Alas, it is difficult to see all the names on the plaque.
- There is a photograph of the Barlborough First and Second World War Memorial Garden at Geograph.
- This place was an ancient parish in Derbyshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established).
- This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- In April, 1935, this parish turned over 105 acres of land to the Clowne Civil Parish.