BARROW-ON-TRENT, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BARROW-ON-TRENT, a parish in the hundreds of Appletree and Morleston, in the county of Derby, 3 miles E. from Willington railway station, and 6 miles to the S. of Derby, its post town. It is situated on the north bank of the river Trent, and contains the chapelries of Stenson and Twyford, and the liberty of Sinfin-with-Arleston. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, of the value with the curacy of Twyford, of £105, in the patronage of A. Moore Esq. The church, a venerable edifice, with embattled tower, is dedicated to St. Wilfrid. There are National schools at Barrow and Twyford; the former, erected in 1843, has a small endowment. Barrow Hall is the principal seat; it is a large stuccoed mansion, built in 1809 by the late John Beaumont, Esq. Henry Des Voeux, Esq., is lord of the manor." "ARLESTON, a liberty joined with Sinfin, in the parish of Barrow-on-Trent, hundred of Appletree, but locally in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, in the county of Derby, 4 miles to the S. of Derby. It lies within the duchy of Lancaster, and the jurisdiction of the court of pleas held at Tutbury, the head of the Honour." "SINFIN WITH ARLESTON, a liberty in the parish of Barrow-on-Trent, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 3 miles S. of Derby, near the Birmingham railway and the river Derwent." "SYNFIN-WITH-ARLESTON, a liberty in the parish of Barrow on Trent, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 2½ miles S.W. of Derby."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]