We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Description from Cassell's Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1899
Transcription by Brian WILLEY © 2005
Baslow and Bubnell
Township, Parish of and 3 miles north east from Bakewell, North Derbyshire. Acreage, 5,635.
Baslow St. Anne
Ecclesiastical parish on the Derwent, formed from the civil parish of Bakewell. The church of St Anne, restored 1853, is Early English.
The three-light west window of the Nave is a good example of the Geometric Decorated period.
In the north wall of the north aisle is an iron plate framed in oak with a curious inscription to Thomas Marple, 1742; there are some small mural brasses.
In the wall of the porch is built a coffin-lid of the 13th century bearing a floriated cross. In the church-yard are some interesting ancient slabs and stone coffins and, to the southward, are the four square steps of an old cross.
In the vestry is preserved the whip of the last church “dog-whipper”.
The Wesleyans and Methodists have places of worship.
A large hydropathic establishment was erected here in 1881.
Nearest railway station: Hassop, 2 miles.
Distance from London: 154 miles.
Population; 864 (Census 1891)
[Content dated 1892]
[Transcribed by Brian WILLEY in July 2005]