BASLOW, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BASLOW, a chapelry in the parish and union of Bakewell, and hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 3 miles to the N.E. of Bakewell, and 10 W. from Chesterfield railway-station. The chapelry includes the townships of Calver, Curbar, Froggatt, and Bubnell, which form the north-east part of the parish of Bakewell. The village of Baslow, which is of considerable size, is pleasantly seated on the banks of the river Derwent, over which is an ancient stone bridge of three arches. It is about 1½ mile to the north of Chatsworth, and on the N.E. and W. are a range of lofty hills, with extensive moors abounding in grouse. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the mills of the Calver Cotton-Spinning Company, which are situated a little lower down the river, at the village of Calver, where there is another bridge across the Derwent of modern construction. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £115, in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church, dedicated to St. James, is in the perpendicular style, with a tower surmounted by a spire. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village. There is a National school, established in 1839 by the Duke of Rutland, who is lord of the manor. Baslow belongs to the honour of Tutbury, in the Duchy of Lancaster. The charities amount to 110 a year. In the vicinity is Bubnell Hall, a large mansion of the early part of the 17th century." "BUBNELL, a township in the parish of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 3 miles to the N.E. of Bakewell. It is situated on the river Derwent. Near the village is Bubnell Hall."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]