BASLOW, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2538
1891 R.G. 12 / 2773
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"BASLOW is a small neat village, and chapelry to Bakewell, 4 N. E. miles from that town, situate on the banks of the Derwent. The coaches passing through here infuse a degree of liveliness into it; but it possesses nothing otherwise interesting. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. James [Ed: other ancient sources may give St James, or St Anne; it is now quite definitely, St. Anne's] is a neat building, standing on the bank of the river; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire; the Rev. Anthony Auriol Barker is the present minister. Population of the chapelry, at the last census 863."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish covers 5,634 acres and includes the hamlet of Bubnell (across the river).

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Baslow/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.