"BEELEY, a chapelry in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 5 miles to the S.E. of Bakewell, and 6 N.W. from Matlock. It is situated on the river Derwent, and has a stone quarry on Beeley Moor, from which the well-known grindstones are obtained. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, val. £98, in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church, dedicated to St. Anne, is an old building with a low tower. There are several small charities, of the value of £7 per annum. There is a free school, erected and supported by the Duke of Devonshire, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Neil THEASBY has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2012. You may want to stop in and ask for a schedule of forthcoming events.