BEELEY, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2540
1891 R.G. 12 / 2774
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"BEELEY, a chapelry in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 5 miles to the S.E. of Bakewell, and 6 N.W. from Matlock. It is situated on the river Derwent, and has a stone quarry on Beeley Moor, from which the well-known grindstones are obtained. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, val. £98, in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church, dedicated to St. Anne, is an old building with a low tower. There are several small charities, of the value of £7 per annum. There is a free school, erected and supported by the Duke of Devonshire, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

Neil THEASBY has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2012. You may want to stop in and ask for a schedule of forthcoming events.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Beeley/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.