"BELPER is a market town and chapelry, in the parish of Duffield, and hundred of Appletree; 134 miles from London, 54 S.E. from Manchester, 16 S. from Chesterfield, 8 N. from Derby, and the like distance S.S.E. from Matlock. Beaurep'd and Beaureper, were modes of spelling, by which this town was designated in ancient documents; it was then an inconsiderable village, but has now become one of the most flourishing market towns in Derbyshire."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The town is on the eastern bank of the River Derwent, 7 miles north of Derby. The parish covers about 2,700 acres.
Ben BROOKSBANKhas a photograph of Belper Station on Geo-graph, taken in April, 1961.
You can see pictures of Belper which are provided by:
Green Hall was built in 1810 at the top of King Street and was joined to its garden across the road by a specially constructed bridge. The original owner of Green Hall was Jedediah STRUTT II, the grandson of Jedediah STRUTT who was the original mill-owner in Belper.
By 1888 it had become the prestigious boarding school, the Green Hall Preparatory School for Boys.
The hall was converted to flats during the 1930s.
Green Hall was demolished in 1956.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK351476 (Lat/Lon: 53.024528, -1.478145), Belper which are provided by:
In 1899, the 1st Volunteer Battlaion of the Sherwood Foresters (The Derbyshire Regt.), G Company, was at Bridge St. Captain Maurice HUNTER, commanding; Lieut. Wlater W. WINDLE; Surgeon-Captian R. A. JOHNSON, medical officer; Patrick McCARTHY, drill instructor.
The Drill Hall in Clusters Road was erected in 1902 by George H. STRATT.
Peter BARR has a photograph of the Drill Hall on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014..
In 1912, the 5th Battlaion of the Sherwood Foresters (The Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regt.), F Company, was at the Drill Hall. Captain W. H. CHRISTY-CLAY, commanding; Lieut. George B. GILL, medical officer; Color-srgt. Clement WALKER, instructor.
Green Hall became a military hospital during World War I. Some 3,000 men were treated in Green Hall.
A National School (later St. Peter's) was built in 1849 to accommodate 400 children.
The Herbert Strutt School at Belper was established in 1909. In the few years prior to that, pupils from Belper were known to have attended the Lady Manners School, in Bakewell, following its reopening in 1896.