"BURROWASH is a hamlet, partly in the parish of Spondon, and partly in that of Ockbrook, situate on both sides of the road between Derby and Nottingham, about four miles and a half from the former, and eleven and a half from the latter town. Upwards of four hundred and fifty of the inhabitants are employed in the extensive lace-thread mills of Messrs. Towle, and many others in the manufacture of twist thread lace, which is also carried on here. From its thoroughfare situation, and the prosperity of its manufactures, this little place is fast emerging into consequence. The population is estimated at about 600 persons."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Borrowash was, for most of its history, the second village in Ockbrook parish. In the late 1800s it started to grow and now it is the larger of the two villages.
The Derby Canal runs through the heart of Borrowash. The village sits on the eastern edge of Derby city. There are photographs of Borrowash at Derby Photos provided by Andy.
There is bus service out of Derby to Borrowash.
Passenger rail service ceased in 1966 and the railway station was demolished in 1994.