BORROWASH (or BURROWASH), Derbyshire
There are two cemeteries managed by the Parish Council in Borrowash:
- The Old Cemetery on Belmont Drive. This cemetery was closed recently for safety reasons, to be refurbished and to have gravestones set upright again. It should be open for visitors by now. This cemetery was closed for burials in the late 1940s.
- The Council Cemetery on Balmoral Road which is still in opeartion. This was renamed in 2010 to the Ockbrook and Borrowash Cemetery.
The Parish Council has complete records of all burials in these cemeteries, but you will need to make an appointment to view any of the records. They will NOT do e-mail lookups for you.
- The village was in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2493|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2726|
- The Anglican church is dedicated to Saint Steven.
- The church was built in 1889-90.
- The church seats 200.
- There is a photograph of St. Stephen's Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2008.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built here in 1825.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built here in 1851.
- There is a photograph of the Borrowash Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2008.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The village was in the parish of Ockbrook in the Spondon sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
"BURROWASH is a hamlet, partly in the parish of Spondon, and partly in that of Ockbrook, situate on both sides of the road between Derby and Nottingham, about four miles and a half from the former, and eleven and a half from the latter town. Upwards of four hundred and fifty of the inhabitants are employed in the extensive lace-thread mills of Messrs. Towle, and many others in the manufacture of twist thread lace, which is also carried on here. From its thoroughfare situation, and the prosperity of its manufactures, this little place is fast emerging into consequence. The population is estimated at about 600 persons."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Borrowash was, for most of its history, the second village in Ockbrook parish. In the late 1800s it started to grow and now it is the larger of the two villages.
The Derby Canal runs through the heart of Borrowash. The village sits on the eastern edge of Derby city. There are photographs of Borrowash at Derby Photos provided by Andy.
There is bus service out of Derby to Borrowash.
Passenger rail service ceased in 1966 and the railway station was demolished in 1994.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Borrowash entry under Ockbrook from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Borrowash from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- The Traces of War website tells us that there is one Commonwealth War Grave in the Balmoral Road Cemetery.
- There is a war memorial shared with Ockbrook parish. A photograph and list of names can be found at WW1 Yorkshires.
- The one Commonwealth War Grave in the Balmoral Cemetery is: DAVIS, Maurice Henry, trooper, Royal Armoured Corps, died 27 June 1943, in grave D. He was the son of William and Edith.
- Burrowash was never a separate parish, either anciently or in Civil Registration times.
- See the Ockbrook parish Politics section.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act of 1834 reforms, the village became part of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.