"BOYLSTONE, (or Boylestone) a parish in the hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 7 miles to the S. of Ashbourne, and 4 N. from Sudbury railway station. It is watered by a small stream, a feeder of the river Dove. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, value £260, in the patronage of Robert Pool, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and has a small tower. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels in the village. There are some small charitable endowments, and a National school was built in 1845 near the church. John Broadhurst, Esq., is lord of the manor."