"BRACKENFIELD, a township in the parish of Morton, hundred of Scarsdale, in the county of Derby, 4 miles to the E. of Matlock. Alfreton is its post town. The Midland railway runs near it. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, worth £52, in the patronage of the Rector of Morton. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity."
In 1958-60 the Ogston Reservoir was constructed in the Amber Valley just north of the village. A number of houses in that area were demolished before the construction began, including the pub known as “Napoleon’s Home” at Woolley Moor and the former Amber Valley Camp School.
In 1845, a Public Elementary School (mixed) was built here for 100 children. It was enlarged in 1890 for up to 133 children. This school closed in the late 1940s and was converted by the local parish council into a Village Hall.