Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- The parish was in the Brassington sub-district of the Ashbourne Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|Piece No. |
|1861 ||R.G. 9 / 2521 thru 2524 |
|1891 ||R.G. 12 / 2756 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The churchyard contained a Saxon cross from the year 800, but it had broken and the pieces were moved inside the church.
- There was a Saxon church here at the Domesday Survey of 1068. Jonathan CLITHEROE has a photograph of the Saxon Cross on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2010.
- The church existed in 1205.
- The church was completely restored in 1846.
- The church seats 205.
- Ann B. has a nice photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2006.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1720.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Ashborne.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Brassington sub-district ofthe Ashbourne Registration District.
"BRADBORNE, (or Bradbourne) a parish in the hundreds of Appletree and Wirksworth, in the county of Derby, 5 miles to the N. of Ashbourne. Wirksworth is its post town. It comprises the chapelries of Atlow, Ballidon, and Brassington; the township of Aldwark, and the hamlet of Lea Hall. Limestone is abundant in the district. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, of the value with the perpetual curacy of Ballidon annexed to it, of £119, in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
The parish covers over 9,966 acres and includes the townships of Bradbourn, Aldwark, Ballidon, Brassington, and the hamlet of Lea Hall.
You can see pictures of Bradbourne which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Bradbourne has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK207526 (Lat/Lon: 53.070221, -1.692514), Bradbourne which are provided by:
- Bradbourne is one of the Thankful Villages of England, having suffered no losses during World War I. It is the only village in Derbyshire to bear this title.
- Eamon CURRY has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in Sept., 2010. Although often refered to as a War Memorial, it appears to be a Mellenium Memorial erected by the village.
- There is a Commonwealth War Grave in the churchyard for a Private HOLMES who was from a neighboring village.
- The place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was partly in the ancient Wirksworth Hundred (or Wapentake) and partly in the Appletree Hundred.
- This parish is a member of the Derbyshire Dales District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Ashbourne petty session hearings.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act of 1834 reforms, the parish became a member of the Ashbourn Poorlaw Union.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, Aldwarke Township became a member of the Bakewell Poorlaw Union.