BRADBORNE, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BRADBORNE, (or Bradbourne) a parish in the hundreds of Appletree and Wirksworth, in the county of Derby, 5 miles to the N. of Ashbourne. Wirksworth is its post town. It comprises the chapelries of Atlow, Ballidon, and Brassington; the township of Aldwark, and the hamlet of Lea Hall. Limestone is abundant in the district. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, of the value with the perpetual curacy of Ballidon annexed to it, of £119, in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church is dedicated to All Saints. It has a tower in the Norman style. In addition to the parish church there are two district churches: one at Atlow, and the other at Brassington-the livings of which are perpetual curacies; the former, value £148, the latter, value £50, with residence. The charitable endowments amount to £21 per annum. Near the village is Tissington Hall, the seat of Sir H. Fitzherbert, Bart. Roman relics have been found in the neighbourhood. Bradborne is in the honour of Tutbury, in the duchy of Lancaster." "ALDWARK, a township in the parish of Bradborne, hundred of Wirksworth, in the county of Derby, 3 miles to the S.W. of Winster. It is in the neighbourhood of Mouldridge Hill, and the High Peak railway." "LEA HALL, a hamlet in the parish of Bradborne, hundred of Wirksworth, county Derby, 4 miles N.E. of Wirksworth, and 5 from Ashbourn. It is situated near the bridge at the Cromford canal."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]