"BRADWELL is a populous hamlet, in the parish of Hope, about 2 miles S.E. from Castleton. The importance of this hamlet is chiefly derived from the mining operations carried on within it, and the lead smelting Works, belonging to Messrs. Furness & Co.; hats are also manufactured here by several individuals. In 1821 the number of inhabitants in the hamlet was 1,130, and in 1831, 1,153."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish covers 2,119 acres and includes the lordship of Hazelbridge and the hamlets of Abney and Abney Grange.
The village has its own website managed by the parish council. Several links on the site did not work when last visited.
David DUNFORD has a photograph of Brook Street on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2005.