BRADWELL, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BRADWELL, a township in the parish of Hope, hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 2 miles to the S.E. of Castleton. It is situated near the Peak, on the Bradwell Water and the river Noe, which here unite. Lead and calamine are found in the neighbourhood, and the extensive works give employment to many hands. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in cotton weaving. Divine service is performed in a licensed room by the clergyman from Hope. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Unitarians have chapels in the village, and there is a small bequest for education, left by John Birley, who founded the school in 1825. A large and beautiful cavern exists in the neighbourhood, at Bagshawe, and extends for nearly half a mile. It was discovered in 1807, and is lined with fine stalactites. The designations of Music Chamber, Grotto of Calypso, &c., are applied to different parts of it. A Roman station is believed to have existed at Brough Castle, where Roman coins, tiles, and other relics have been discovered. Bradwell forms part of the honour of Tutbury, in the duchy of Lancaster. Near Eden Tree are two saline springs, similar to those at Buxton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]