BENTLEY, LANGHAM and WELLS - Buxton and the High Peak. Tempus, 2006. ISBN 0-7524-3951-0.
BOWER, Alan - "The Water Cure". Derbyshire Heritage Series, 1985.
Published by J H Hall & Sons Ltd, Siddals Road, Derby. 44 pages. ISBN 0 946404 55 0.
A small, but very useful booklet containing a collection of postcards, focussing on hydropathic treatment at Hydros predominantly in Buxton and Matlock, but also has illustrations of the Hydros at Darley Dale (now St Elphin's School), Ashover, Baslow and Chesterfield. There is a brief introduction, describing the growth of the 'Water Cure' from Roman times through the Middle Ages and into the 1780's when " social life of a spa at this time was more important than the cure" through to the heady days of John Smedley, and his followers to its eventual demise with the advent of the National Health Service in 1948.
Quoting from its back cover: "This book is primarily a picture book about the Water Cure in Derbyshire. The picture postcard holds a wealth of information about our recent past and is an invaluable aid to any Historian. The postcards used to illustrate the Cure and Hydros date from 1904 to 1920 and aim to show what the life and treatment at a Hydro was like."
LOMAS, Peter - Buxton Hydro (Spa Hotel). Ashridge Press/Country Books, 2007. ISBN 9-781901-214833.
ROBERTS, Alan E & LEACH, John R - The Coal Mines of Buxton. Scarthin Books, 1985. 96 pages. ISBN 0 907758 10 X.
Quoting from its back cover: "THE COAL MINES OF BUXTON may seem like a fictional title, but it is fact. The book traces the rise of the coal industry in the neighbourhood of Buxton, examines its hey-day, and details its decline, quoting extensively from contemporary documents. If you still need proof of its existence, check out the numerous industrial remains which are also described in these pages."
This is an evocative book which opens by contrasting the harsh realities of a coal miner's life in the late 18th century against the heady life of the upper class. Whilst the 5th Duke of Devonshire was developing Buxton as a spa town, and his visitors were paying their three shillings admission fee to the Card Room, a boy working in the coal mines would have to drive an engine horse around its circular track for six whole days to earn the same amount of money.
Strictly speaking the mines were not in Buxton, but in the parish of Hartington Upper Quarter, about 2 miles away from Buxton. Nevertheless, this book is a real treasure trove for the family historian, containing many personal names, drawing extensively on the accounts of Thomas WYLD, of 1790 (WYLD was the mines' manager on behalf of their owner, the Duke of Devonshire). The several appendices contain more personal names, including lists of colliers and coal miners recorded on the 1841, 1851 and 1881 censuses.
Buxton Cemetery was laid out in 1896 about one mile south-east of the town as it then existed, on the London Road. It covered 13 acres and had two mortuary chapels; one for the Church of England and one for non-conformists.
Richard LAW has a photograph of the Buxton Cemetery entrance in the Ashbourne Road (the A515) on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2010.
"BUXTON is a market-town and chapelry, in the parish of Bakewell, and hundred of High Peak; 160 miles from London, 24 S.E. from Manchester, the like distance W. of Chesterfield, 22 N.E. from Matlock, 20 N.E. from Wirksworth, 10 S.W. from Castleton, & 6 S. from Chapel-en-le-Frith. Antiquaries agree that this was a Roman station, although unable to ascertain its name - in later days it was called Bawkenstanes, supposed to be a corruption of Bathanstanes, signifying bath stones; and one of the Roman roads still retain the name of Bathorn-gate."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Buxton is on the high road from Derby to Manchester.
You can see pictures of Buxton which are provided by:
At Coomb's Moss, 3 miles north of the town, are the remains of ancient military works.
In 1912 the Territorial Force in the town was the 6th Battlaion Sherwood Foresters, C Company, at the armory in Rock Terrace. Captain V. H. E. LANGFORD, commanding; Color-Srgt. George WAIN, drill instructor.
In 1938 the RAF opened an underground ammunition storage at Harpur Hill village, just outside Buxton. After the war, the tunnels were used as a mushroom farm.
Buxton College, previously independent, became a County Grammar School in 1924. In the few years prior to that, pupils from Buxton may have attended the Lady Manners School, in Bakewell, following its reopening in 1896.
The Cavendish High School for Girls on Corbar road was constructed in 1912. There is some material in the National Archives (Ref: ED 35/3804), but the material has not been digitized.