BUXTON, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2545
1891 R.G. 12 / 2780
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Correctional Institutions

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"BUXTON is a market-town and chapelry, in the parish of Bakewell, and hundred of High Peak; 160 miles from London, 24 S.E. from Manchester, the like distance W. of Chesterfield, 22 N.E. from Matlock, 20 N.E. from Wirksworth, 10 S.W. from Castleton, & 6 S. from Chapel-en-le-Frith. Antiquaries agree that this was a Roman station, although unable to ascertain its name - in later days it was called Bawkenstanes, supposed to be a corruption of Bathanstanes, signifying bath stones; and one of the Roman roads still retain the name of Bathorn-gate."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Buxton is on the high road from Derby to Manchester.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Medical Records

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

For a photograph of the Buxton War Memorial and the list of names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  Year  Inhabitants
1851 1,235
1871 2,531
1881 4,110
1891 4,658
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Buxton/index.html