"CAULK is a very small parish, in the same hundred as Melbourn, two miles therefrom. Caulk hall and park, the seat of Sir George Crewe, Bart. (before mentioned) [Ed: with REPTON] a gentleman of great benevolence, is about three quarters of a mile from the village. The church here was erected at his sole expense, and the living is in his gift. This parish for the last thirty years has been retrograding in its population. At the census taken in 1801 it contained 96 inhabitants, and in 1831 only 58."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish covered 750 acres in 1851 and is 10 miles south of Derby city. The nearest bus service is in Ticknall, with no stops in Calke. The parish sits on the Leicestershire border.