CALKE (or CAULK), Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2269
1871 R.G. 10 / 3247
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"CAULK is a very small parish, in the same hundred as Melbourn, two miles therefrom. Caulk hall and park, the seat of Sir George Crewe, Bart. (before mentioned) [Ed: with REPTON] a gentleman of great benevolence, is about three quarters of a mile from the village. The church here was erected at his sole expense, and the living is in his gift. This parish for the last thirty years has been retrograding in its population. At the census taken in 1801 it contained 96 inhabitants, and in 1831 only 58."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish covered 750 acres in 1851 and is 10 miles south of Derby city. The nearest bus service is in Ticknall, with no stops in Calke.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 96
1831 58
1841 55
1851 79
1871 63
1881 48
Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Calke/index.html