"CALVER is a hamlet, in the parish of Bakewell; one mile E. S.E. from Stoney Middleton, situate upon the river Derwent. It contains a considerable cotton mill, and the neighbourhood abounds with lime-stone. The population, by the parliamentary returns for 1831, amounted to 616."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The land in the parish was primarily used for grazing.
In 1799 the River Derwent washed away the Calver Bridge and part of the village cotton mill. Shortly after this, the rest of the mill burned to the ground. A new mill was built and opened in 1804. The mill provided work to 200 people by 1830.