"CARSINGTON is a small parish, about two miles and a half W. from Wirksworth, containing a small ancient church, dedicated to St. Margaret; the living is a rectory, of which the dean of Lincoln is the patron. The parish contained, in 1831, 286 inhabitants, who are chiefly supported by agriculture and mining."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Carsington is a village, a township and a parish. The parish covered 1,116 acres in 1857 and was mostly dairy farms. The village lies in a sheltered valley six miles north of Belper.
You can see pictures of Carsington which are provided by:
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Wirksworth petty session hearings.
In an unusual legacy, the revenue from two "beast gates" was left to the poor, but the donor now remains unknown. A "beast gate" was a license or permit to use a gate to graze livestock in someone else's field.
With the passage of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Ashbourne Poorlaw Union.