CASTLETON, Derbyshire

Caution: There are several places named "Castleton" in the UK and at least one in Ontario, Canada.

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2546 & 2548
1891 R.G. 12 / 2780
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"CASTLETON is a parish and village, in the hundred of High Peak. 164 miles from London, 27 S.E. from Manchester, 10 N.E. from Buxton, and 7 E. from Chapel-en-le-Frith. It is situate at the bottom of the steep eminence, at whose feet the 'Peak Cavern' discloses itself, and the summit of which is occupied by an ancient castle that gives name to the place. This castle was erected by William Peveril, natural son of the Conqueror, and from its situation was called 'the Castle of the Peak', or 'Peak Castle.'"

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Chris DOWNER has a good photograph of the village green on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  Year  Inhabitants
1841 1,500
1871 678
1881 650
1891 541
Return to top of page

Social Life and Customs

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Castleton/index.html