CHAPEL en le FRITH, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2546 & 2547
1891 R.G. 12 / 2780
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"CHAPEL-EN-LE-FRITH is a market-town and parish, in the hundred of High Peak, 167 miles from London, 20 S.E. from Manchester, 21 N.W. from Sheffield, 23 W. by N. from Chesterfield, and 6 N. from Buxton. Its name signifies the 'Chapel-in-the-Forest; from the Saxon word frith, a forest or wood - the church or chapel, which originated the town, having been built within the forest of the High Peak. The town is neat and pleasantly situate on the declivity of a hill, rising from an extensive and fertile vale, surrounded by an amphitheatre of lofty eminences that bound this extremity of the county."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  Year  Inhabitants
1801 2,507
1831 3,220
1851 3,214
1881 4,170
1891 4,647
Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/ChapelenleFrith/index.html