"CHELMORTON, a chapelry in the parish of Bakewell, in the hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 4 miles S.W. of Tideswell, and 7 W. of Bakewell. It is situated at the foot of a high hill. The inhabitants are principally engaged in the ribbon manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £78, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bakewell. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a stone building with a fine spire, built in the year 1111."